Saturday, April 3, 2010

Lesson 2 - Airborne!

Today I met Betsy again for my 2nd lesson which would turn out to really be my first flight lesson as today we got the plane in the air. But first things first. We reviewed my "homework". Betsy asked if I managed to read chapter 1 in the Maneuvers book. I let her know I finished the entire manual and read through the POH. She stated that I was clearly going to be a good student. We then reviewed the 4 fundamentals of flight and she also spent a good deal of time explaining the relationship between pitch & power. We pitch for a given airspeed and use the throttle as our "up and down lever". Pitch for airspeed, power to climb or descend. Entirely not intuitive, but again, after years in the flight simulator I feel comfortable with the concept.

We head out to the ramp on a bit of a hazy gray day. One of the things I learned last week was how to call flight service to get a weather briefing. I'm beginning to get handy with all the different weather codes in the "METAR" and "TAF" (current weather and forecast weather). I'd been calling for a briefing each day for practice. Today I called and wouldn't you know it there are a few PIREPS (pilot reports) of moderate turbulence today. The METAR also listed clear skies but I don't see any blue. It's hazy. Hmmm. I hope the bumps aren't too bad.

We discuss our mission for the day. We'll be taking off and then turning to the west to work at about 3000 feet over Pittsboro, NC. I'm wondering how much flying I'll get to do. Will she let me touch the controls? We then preflight the aircraft which takes about 30 minutes. Then we load up and she goes over the steps for starting the engine. She has me perform the Starting Engine Checklist. In a few moments I yell, "Clear!" out the window and turn the key. The propeller turns. Betsy fiddles with the throttle as I'm a bit stunned by the amount of noise and wind suddenly coming into the cabin. Wow! I started my first airplane engine. Almost all by myself.

I learn that starting an airplane is more akin to starting a lawn mower than a car. You have to give it enough gas but not too much gas. I'm learning that a lot of instructions I'm getting are like that. Give it enough flaps, but not too much. Bank enough, but not too much, etc...

Then I learn a new mnemonic: BAR (Brakes - check, AWOS - check, Radio check). To test the brakes I release them and give a little gas. We roll forward and I stomp on the brakes. We stop. Then Betsy tests her side. Brakes - check. Next, we tune to the automated weather observation channel and get the current weather conditions. The wind is coming straight down runway 21 so we'll use that for departure. Finally, I get to make my first radio call, "Raleigh Executive Traffic, Warrior Eight One Niner One Seven, radio check." In a moment someone calls back, "You're loud and clear." I respond, "Thank you." That was really fun for some reason.

Next up. Taxiing. My the hits are coming fast and furious. OK, another call, "Raleigh Executive Traffic, Warrior 81917, South Ramp, Taxi to 21, Raleigh Executive." A little gas and we're rolling. Holy cow. I'm driving an airplane. Follow the yellow line. Just like on the sim, right pedal, a bit of right toe to swing quickly on course, then just keep following down the long taxiway Alpha. Eventually we get to the hold line at 21 and stop with the plane turned 45 degrees toward the approach.

Runup. Brakes set, power to 2000 RPM. Vroom. The plane starts vibrating. Check instruments, engine gauges, flight controls, back down to 1000 RPM. Time for takeoff. "Raleigh Executive Traffic, Warrior 81917, departing runway 21, west departure, raleigh executive." I check for traffic and line up with the big white dashed line. Set the Directional Gyro so it is lined up with the runway heading and smoothly apply full power. Check the engine instruments: green, green, green. Airspeed indicator comes to life, we're committed for takeoff. A little right rudder in to compensate for adverse yaw. In just a few seconds we're at 50 kts, then 55... a little back pressure on the yoke and we are airborne!

No comments:

Post a Comment