Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Maintenance Night

One of the neat things we get to do as part of the Flying Club is perform maintenance on the aircraft. The club members own the aircraft so we can save quite a bit of money by volunteering out time to do maintenance. Club members that do this get a credit on their month club dues. But to me the real benefit is becoming very familiar with he equipment we'll be flying.

Tonight I did some basic maintenance on a Mooney M20. Being the newbie in the hangar I got the less glamorous jobs of greasing all the control surface hinges which amounted to running around with a can of WD-40 like spray and hitting all the hinges. Then I got to vacuum the interior, put air in the tires, and add 8 quarts of new oil. I also checked the fluid level in the battery. Basic stuff perhaps, but it was all a very new experience for me so it was kind of exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment